Skip to main content

The Grill Master



On that hot Fourth of July I was thankful for two things. That indoor air condition exists, and that my iPad was fully charged. It's not that I plan on going to family functions wanting to be anti-social, it's that after Aunt Suzie has talked in depth about the latest inflammations on her body, you too would be begging of the sweet release of death. As I sat in one of the spare bedrooms, hiding away from everyone until there was food to be had, someone went looking for me.

I was being summoned for food, not the eating aspect, but the cooking aspect. Something was wrong with the Uncle Reeve's “Char-Master 9000” and I was being called to duty. Uncle Reeve had long thought of himself as the “Grill King” of the family, he had an old “Kiss the Cook” apron that was so old, so worn, the material had become so thin that Victoria's Secret could be designing their upcoming Fall line around it.

The “Char-Master 9000” was an old grill but Uncle Reeve had kept it in great condition, it was his pride and joy. The Char-Master was one of the first grills that could use both charcoal and gas, I'm pretty sure at one point it had a diesel tank on it too. But it seems that nothing was working quite right this day, Uncle Reeve had bought a fresh tank of propane for the grill the night before, yet the burners were not igniting.

In my capacity as a generally decent all around moderate handy man, I did what any other man in my situation would do. I walked around the grill twice, and said “hmmm” a lot. I began to slowly move my eyes over all the connections on the grill, from tank to tube, tube to the burners. I tested the ignite switch, and it was still sparking. I lifted the grates off the grill, and look a good while, that is where I found it. The connection tube from the tank to the burners was loose. I fixed the situation using my brain at its MacGuyver best, with a combination of foil and duct tape.

After telling Uncle Reeve that I had fixed everything, Uncle Reeve then told me that he would actually prefer it if I took over grilling duties this year. Who am I to deny a man in a frail “Kiss the Cook” apron? So I stood there on the deck, sun beating down around me, apron-less, while I fixed burgers and hot dogs till my arms fell off. Everyone wanted them in different degrees of doneness. Ranging from medium rare to “charred to the point I'm not entirely sure what I'm eating anymore.”


It took two hours of cooking before everyone was happy, then I was finally able to stop and eat something for myself. Uncle Reeve decided he had found his second wind, and gave us all an important lecture on fireworks safety. All while swigging occasionally from a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Fire and beer, it was pretty gal durn American. Happy 4th y'all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Christmas Lights

Despite all the tinsel and glow, all the shinny faces and families rushing around in their SUVs and minivans, Christmas can be a difficult time of the year for some people. An example? Recently a friend of mine was talking about grocery shopping with her husband and children. She came across the seasonal display of Little Debbie cakes, and began to pick up two boxes to mail to her grandfather. Upon putting them in the cart, she remembered that her grandfather passed away this year, she quietly, and sadly, placed the boxes back on the shelf.
Before you get me wrong, I'm not hating on Christmas. I love this time of the year, genuinely, not in a “Up next on the Donnie and Marie Christmas Special is Andy Ross and he's gonna read that off some cue cards” way. I suppose why I feel a need to talk about this, is that I felt a little down last Christmas. It was odd, I didn't even feel enthusiastic about making my annual Christmas Mix CD, which has become something people actually…

Convincing Yourself You're Good.

I have Imposter Syndrome. Imposter Syndrome is that feeling that what you do isn't good enough, and that someone is gonna eventually figure out how woefully unqualified you are and kick you to the curb. One of the traits of my personality that I dislike is that I am way too hard on myself. Seriously, give my mind an inch and I will somehow figure out that I am the sole person responsible for the world's troubles.

Having Imposter Syndrome is kind of like playing the game Werewolf. My friends and I play a version of the game called One Night Ultimate Werewolf, in the game each player picks a card that gives them a specific role, either a villager or a werewolf, and the villagers all have distinct roles that they play on top of that--special abilities and the like. The object of the game is two fold, if you're a werewolf, you don't wanna be caught. If you're a village, you wanna catch the werewolves. Imposter Syndrome makes you feel like you're always in the role…

Blood Cold Mysteries

If there is one bit of esoteric classic movie stuff that simply fascinates me, it’s the trilogy of films directed by veteran actor William Conrad—and all released in 1965. They’re the three of only four feature films directed by Conrad, who spent all of his other directorial adventures on the small screen. The late William Conrad was a famed actor, playing Matt Dillon on the original radio version of “Gunsmoke,” and coming to full pop culture fame on TV in “Cannon” & “Jake and The Fat Man.” For this writer, Conrad will always be immortal for being the narrator on “Rocky & Bullwinkle.” 
The three films in question all were released by Warner Brothers—where Conrad had a production office it seems—and are: “Brainstorm,” “Two On A Guillotine,” and the film I’m going to talk about today, “My Blood Runs Cold.” One of the reasons I’m fascinated by these three films is my built in soft spot for 1960s, black and white horror fare with crazy, bombastic promotion. I adore the films of Wil…