Skip to main content

Dreamweaver

A friend of mine is dating this guy who is a bit, well, super earthy. He’s an alright person, generally speaking, but the patchouli can be detected before he enters the room. He also claims that he can interpret dreams. When the group gets together for a gathering, like a game night, he’ll ask us all if we had any memorable dreams lately. “The memorable ones are the ones you’ve gotta look out for” he says. 

At a recent game night, while I was pondering my hand for my turn at Scrabble, Dreamweaver asked me about my recent dreams. I hadn’t had any out of the unusual dreams lately, just that recurring one where I keep getting a dollar on The Price is Right wheel--Dreamweaver doesn’t own a TV, so I never tell him about this one. I decided to see just how far Dreamweaver could go with this skill set and started making up dreams on the spot. 

“Oh, well the other night I dreamt that I was swimming in a pool full of gelatine while being given swimming advice from the pet Goldfish I had when I was 8” I said. Dreamweaver looked at me and said “Ah, yes. That means you’re inadequate at satisfying your lover. Also, you might be impotent. Keep some sage and a tangerine in your sock drawer to increase your potential.”  

“Golly gee. Thanks.” I said. I played my word, then turn moved to the friend on my left. No one else at the table that night wanted to talk about their dreams--maybe since the fake one I created just landed me in the den of impotence. Yet as the turn came back to me, Dreamweaver was just as curious as ever. I decided to throw another fake curve ball at him, one I thought would be really out there as I’m a student of Pop Culture and Dreamweaver is not. 

“Yeah, I’ll tell about this recurring one I have” I said, Dreamweaver’s eyes lit up. “I dream that I’m this little red creature with a yellow cape, and whenever I feel this glow of a light around me, I have a compulsion to take people’s money--and laugh at them while I do it.” I was describing what happens whenever someone would hit a Whammy on the old game show “Press Your Luck.” 

“Ah! This makes the other dream you told me about make so much more sense. You have a God Complex!” Dreamweaver told me, “Yep, a God complex, AND impotence!” I stared at Dreamweaver for a few moments, then I said “Oh, gosh. I can’t think of a word. I’d like to pass my turn, and hey, is that water running? Must be the upstairs bathroom. I’d better go check that out.” I went to the upstairs bathroom, made noise, and hid out there for half an hour. At least I think it’s been half an hour. I’m writing this out on my phone and I’m not sure if it’s safe to go back down to my den yet. Send pizza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blue Christmas Lights

Despite all the tinsel and glow, all the shinny faces and families rushing around in their SUVs and minivans, Christmas can be a difficult time of the year for some people. An example? Recently a friend of mine was talking about grocery shopping with her husband and children. She came across the seasonal display of Little Debbie cakes, and began to pick up two boxes to mail to her grandfather. Upon putting them in the cart, she remembered that her grandfather passed away this year, she quietly, and sadly, placed the boxes back on the shelf.
Before you get me wrong, I'm not hating on Christmas. I love this time of the year, genuinely, not in a “Up next on the Donnie and Marie Christmas Special is Andy Ross and he's gonna read that off some cue cards” way. I suppose why I feel a need to talk about this, is that I felt a little down last Christmas. It was odd, I didn't even feel enthusiastic about making my annual Christmas Mix CD, which has become something people actually…

Convincing Yourself You're Good.

I have Imposter Syndrome. Imposter Syndrome is that feeling that what you do isn't good enough, and that someone is gonna eventually figure out how woefully unqualified you are and kick you to the curb. One of the traits of my personality that I dislike is that I am way too hard on myself. Seriously, give my mind an inch and I will somehow figure out that I am the sole person responsible for the world's troubles.

Having Imposter Syndrome is kind of like playing the game Werewolf. My friends and I play a version of the game called One Night Ultimate Werewolf, in the game each player picks a card that gives them a specific role, either a villager or a werewolf, and the villagers all have distinct roles that they play on top of that--special abilities and the like. The object of the game is two fold, if you're a werewolf, you don't wanna be caught. If you're a village, you wanna catch the werewolves. Imposter Syndrome makes you feel like you're always in the role…

Seduction My Way

With Valentine’s Day next week many are starting to make plans for what they will do with their lover. Lately I’ve been getting numerous tweets asking me “Andy, you’re a well known stud muffin, what can I do to make Valentine’s Day most memorable?” Since I have much to say on this topic, I thought I’d take time this week and share my advice for a most special February 14th. 
Now you may have read that last paragraph and thought to yourself “Andy, I have no lover, why did you write something useless for me!?” Don’t worry friend, I got you. If you need a pick up a line to score the date of your dreams, simply get up the courage to walk up the one you’ve been dreaming about, take a deep breath, and tell them the following. “Hey, do you wanna fall over a cliff in love with me? ‘Cause I’m the yodeling guy from Price is Right and you just incorrectly guessed the price of a toaster oven.” Never fails. 
Now comes the task of picking the right restaurant for the date. At this late time, finding …